by Hugh MacLeod
Great book about living a fulfilled life, career choices, and art.
Some points that stuck out:
- Asking whether to choose between art and money is asking the wrong question.
- Small ideas nurtured over time create big results.
- Being afraid of selling out is useless when you’re not earning lots of money from your art.
- Stop using the “Van Gogh’s paintings never sold while he was alive” fact to justify your lack of money or recognition. Van Gogh killed himself. If you stay alive and keep doing great stuff, you will enjoy some reward from your work.
- Do the work. Keep working. Don’t give up.
This quick read contained a plethora of simple truths that were explained in a new way that made a heck of a lot of sense. Highly recommended for creatives.