What Visions Have I Seen
I asked a couple days ago on Twitter (follow me @BardBlog) for some examples of crazy concepts people had seen. I was impressed, or maybe depressed, by some the examples I got from you!
- Twelfth Night. All male. On a Submarine. At Christmas. No lie.
- The Tempest performed literally on an island. Spectators on the mainland.
- King Lear performed in a latrine. Mad king on a pissoir.
- Richard III in a Wyoming corral for horses.
- Romeo & Juliet in a Nevada bordello.
- R&J performed as if in wasteland on huge articulated truck. Ms as Raj, Cs – medieval knights. Underscored throughout on keyboard.
- a very literal RSC prod of Richard III. “Winter of our discontent” – snow fell; “glorious summer” – sun shone.
Leave a comment if you have others! It’s always fun to see the crazy things people do with their “new and exciting interpretations!”
I happen to be involved in a production of Richard III with a new spin on it, I’ll let you know more about it — and audience reactions after it opens next week. It might turn out to be a hit, who knows? There’s a fine line between fine art and fine turd, no?